Monday, June 15, 2026

Men Make Poor Pillows

 

 

 

Men Make

Poor Pillows

 

 

 

Natasha Adams

 

A Melancholy Feat Production

 

 


 

Copyright © 2026 Natasha Adams

 

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form by any means without permission in writing from the publisher, except by a reviewer, who may quote brief passages in a review.

 

Writing & Editing:                Natasha Adams

Art:                                         Natasha Adams        

 

Printed and bound in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada

 

Published by Melancholy Feat Productions

700 Scott Road, Aamjiwnaang First Nation, Ontario, N7T 6M8

https://nythe-scorpious.blogspot.com


 


 

Table of Contents

Dedication   1

Prologue   2

Artificial Tether  3

Man & His Bitch   7

The Muse   25

The Beholder  37

Scene Queen   41

Space & Time   52

Happy Birthday, Mr. President  57

Emergency Contact  59

Unworthy   62

Adventuring   66

Lost in the Woods  70

Beautiful Strangers, Part-Time Lovers & Unrequited Loves  73

Terrible Poems for Lovely Goddesses  89

Epilogue   96

About the Author  101

 

 


 


Dedication

To the Pook:

I am finally making good on my word. I was the absolute worst and I am sorry. I am happy to see the beautiful life you’ve built for yourself.

 

 

To all the people who inspired the poems contained herein:

Thank you for the valuable lessons you taught me, for the experiences we shared, and for your time.

 


 

Prologue

Love Letter from a Slut

With the way I date,

You’d think I’m collecting all of the unloved men of the world,

Like I want to love every unloved man so deeply,

That he can learn to love his self.

 

Investing too much time on inspections,

Expending too much energy to excavate a geode of decency,

Washing away the dirt,

Polishing them presentable,
Lest I become disillusioned.

 

Only to end up storing them in a rose-tinted glass jar upon my shelf, once I lose interest;

So, when I’m bored or feel like admiring them,

I can dust it off,

Take it down,

Shake them up,

Then put the jar away for another day.

 

Keeping them, ‘til they know how precious every gleaming mineral is.

When the right woman walks by, I’ll share,

Placing a pebble in her gentle hand.

 

Slut is such a boring slur,

But it beats misogynistic metaphor.

Carafe, or perhaps ewer now, is more apt, anyhow,

When I’m pouring love into every unloved man,

Wondering when will one love me for me.


Artificial Tether

No. 3 of The Bests Collection, "Artificial Tether" (2022).

Ink, Conte, & Coloured Pencil.

 


 

The Night We Met

Denied three times,

In a place I wasn’t supposed to be

Flashback to my curiosity, set to a Beatles’ medley,

Where you had blocked out the sun

Why did you say yes?

Holding your shoulders so tight,

Seemingly stuck forever replaying this night.


 

Last Dance

A little kiss, a small sway

A kind smile showing it’s okay

I don’t need a divine sign

I know you’re mine when you hold me

 

Some kind of magnetic force has me stuck

On that chord you struck

So, I can’t forget the look on your face when we fuck

Not to be vulgar,

Because this is so much more

 

If you can tolerate my crazy

Our future won’t be hazy

Crystal clear place settings

China sets

No regrets

Just love

 

I’ll try my best

I’m more than willing to invest

My soul, paid in whole, to you

 

It’s still early, the sun is barely out

Our position, relative to it, will change

But my heart’s won’t

Lover, let’s grow old together

I’m saving my last dance for you

 

 


 

The Casino

I bet and bluff

Until I’m up to my eyes,

“Keep swimming,

No matter how rough the current.”

 

You always fold,

“Enough is enough;

Why don’t we cash in?”

 

But I live to spin again

And spend

And spin again

And spend

And the House wins again

 

Breeding capital

By eating addicts

And stomping throats

Disproportionately distributing the profits through broken pipelines


 

Man & His Bitch

No. 4 of The Bests Collection, "Man & His Dog" (2022).

Oil Pastel.

 


 

Unforgettable

Life goes on or so I’m told

Nothing’s new, my soul is sold

I’d kiss the grass that bends beneath your weight

Life without you is an unbearable fate

A forbidden star-crossed pair

Lead you sheepishly to my lair

Either way tonight will be regrettable

So, let’s make it unforgettable


Rainy Day

Here I am in the rain again

Eyes clouded by tears

Mind overcast with depression

A synthetic smile to disguise my lies

Fake laughs, real tears

The gloomy dark sky is dead

When will this life long monsoon end?

 

It’s not the first fall of the season

Maybe the worst

Without shelter and unshielded

Standing

-Cold, wet and melancholy

Wondering

Where’s my umbrella on this rainy day?

 

The sun is gone, burned out

Trapped in this perpetual night

Where’s my umbrella?

Where’s the light?

 

I wish it would stop raining,

I hate dreary nights

 


 

Rinse & Repeat

All I ever do is cry

My skin is rough

The ink is dry

I feel so numb

But the blood keeps flowing

 

When will this cycle stop?

How could you ever know me

Let alone understand me

When you don’t even understand you?

 

 

Exhausted

Tears are flowing

The seam of this façade is showing

The disguise is tired

The game is old

And I’m left hollow and cold

Nostalgia becomes my only comfort

 

 


 

Blessed

My health’s my only blessing today

But time will deteriorate even that away

This bitter loneliness consumes me

I’m the only fish swimming in this sea

The sound of the waves crashing against the shoreline are enough to drive you up a padded wall

I thought you’d be there to catch me when I fall

But now I’m falling deeper down

And I don’t want to spend my life in this small town

I don’t know much for sure

But your intentions aren’t that obscure

Use me, lose me, abuse my love

I just want to be what you’re dreaming of

Breathing is so hard to do

When I want to be breathing next to you

I wish you felt the same

Is it too much to ask?

I’m downing the warming liquid in this flask

Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn

I keep waiting but you never come

It’s so futile

 


 

Silence

I love you so much, it’s overwhelming

Just hearing your voice soothes me

You’re always on my mind

I’m so damn pathetic

 

I call just to hear you

But I cannot speak, my words are useless

So, I’ll just remain silent

I feel honoured that “Hello” is for me

Like your lips once were

I want to repent and reject the coward I’ve become

But I’ll just remain silent

 

Third times the charm

So maybe I’ll dial those digits again

And attempt to describe this longing

Your angry eyes are so alluring

My want is overwhelming

 

Still, I’m silent

You are the standard to which no one ever measure up

I need you

But I’ll just remain silent.

 


 

My Sweet Addiction

Sitting on my mattress

Awaiting a call that won’t come

Always elusive

Never exclusive

Missing your scent

Longing for your taste

Dependent on your voice

Addicted to your body

Coursing through my veins,

You’re the poison that I crave

Entice me, seduce me, love me, abuse me

Eat me, touch me, beat me, bite me, kiss me, fuck me

And put me out of this misery

Mystery I can’t solve

Sins I won’t absolve

 


 

Blame Game

The pen in my hand holds a strange power over me

Every word I write

Every thought I think

Every action I take

Is of you

So, the lyrics I go to write don’t turn out

And the thoughts I ought to think have evaporated

And the things I want to do go unaccomplished

And all that remains is you

I want to drop my responsibilities

I want to let go

And fall into oblivion, sweet oblivion

I want to be caught by you more so

Fear factor time, just gotta deal

Barely remember how to smile

Avoiding how to feel

Need to chill out

Get high, drink Tea

The words get jumbled

Until all meaning is lost.

My sweet muse and bitter writer’s block,

I need you, no matter the cost,

It’s so hard to move on, so hard to take stock

Maybe it’s this funny smelling ink,

Maybe you’re all the pen knows what to write

Maybe it’s this paper, whispering out of turn

Either way, it always turns out the same:

Some incomprehensible ramblings about you.

 


 

Wrong Again

I like the way you say my name

Heart left smouldering and legs aflame

I promised myself that I was through

But it’s so hard to get over someone you want under you

 

I thought we we’re right

Turns out I’m wrong

I can only survive in denial for so long

 

I thought you were my one

Drawn in by gravity but you’re the sun

When we burn out and you blow up

Will nothing be left of me?
I guess you’ll have to see

 

Demoted from Lover

Can’t settle for being just another, “highly attractive buddy;”

Do you get your other friends naked and muddy?

My penance and my bliss,

I got what I deserved with every single kiss

 


 

GF2

Let's be big game killers and trade cells

Meet me in 9, it's a magic number

One more deep scratch, please, for the road?

Same old angle between A and B, substituting variables to get a new value for C

I'd trade nearly anything for honest laughter;

I'd play for keeps.

Cosmically tangled,

Don't wait ‘til the end of the yarn.

 

 


 

Guilty Confessions

I’ve spent years searching for one who compares

And I keep trying,

Despite knowing it’s unfair

All I’ve ever wanted was to look into your eyes

And know that I know you

All I’ve ever wanted was to hold you

 

Sit on my couch

Let me hear your confession

I have some time to spare

 

Want to hear mine?

I fear no one will ever compare

And I’m jealous of the girls you give your time

Don’t you know I’d give you all of mine?

 


 

Revenge

Each encounter begins with a ding,

The ritual closing with your prayer of contrition
While I paid the price for our sins

 

Trapped and growing discontent

Days spent fantasizing of futures,

I’d like to invent

With every night wasted dreaming of you

I don’t know what to do

I want to touch you,

Hold you, kiss you, fold you, fuck you

Fuck YOU

I’m obsessed to the point of disgrace

I miss your touch too much

I miss your freckled face

 

You’ll settle down with a perfectly lovely wife

Become bored and disillusioned with your predictable life

And when I’m off building castles in the sky,

I’ll relish the envy occupying your eye

 

Rent will come due

When it’s time to pay

You’d better have saved up for that day

 


 

Closure

Thinking of you all night

Illuminated under the blacklight

Longing to smell your hair

-But I’m left here wanting

Missing the secret meetings at your lair

-But I’m left here chasing

Craving the laughs that we shared

-But I’m left here starving for

My time with you

 

I’m crying,

“Kiss me again!”

I’m crying,

“Be my man!”

 

Hope holds a tight grip

Heartache cracks an exacting whip

Broken heart exposure

I just need a little closure

 

 


 

Rosenberg's Rock

Dear angular scar on my existence,

I missed you

You're a clearing in the woods

Void of growth and footprints,

And I'm just some seasonal bird

Enjoying the view overhead

Before returning North

 

 Oh, the stupidity of youth

In another decade, how much will have changed?

 Everything in its right time and place, I guess

 It feels like home,

Here in the dark

 And I’m not sure if facing the light will blind me

                                                                                       

 


 

I Missed You

Dull my world

Mute my joy

This worn ticker ain’t a toy

Leave me lonelier than how you found me

But still, I’ll follow blindly

Resuming course despite recent turbulence

Because I’m content to crash

If I can keep you in that little black box

 

Give romance a chance

Time is the greatest thief

Let's not be robbed

Let’s not be shocked

We're still fools, just older

Too old to be spring lovers

With too many responsibilities to hole up and fuck

 


 

Haunted Hometown

There are streets I won't walk in my hometown.

Some ghosts don’t wanna be disturbed,

Some lonely hearts don’t wanna be reminded,

Lest I be haunted,

So, I'll just keep on walkin’

 

From Ferry Dock Hill, to the dug-outs, tree fort, skate park, the path to Parkdale Park, and the spot Madam S professed her love for Kurt on cement.

Retracing past pathways, simultaneously slipping between past and present with every step.

 

A whole new Corunna after dark.

Sneaking out & sneaking in.

The summers were good to me and my favourite lover.

We were safe,

Those old trees wouldn't blow our cover.

 

Who I was,

I hardy remember,

And barely recognize when I do

But I suspect it was mostly a disguise.

I never thought I'd be happy again.

I'm glad I was wrong.

 


 

Burying the Obsession

Gatsby gets me every time

On my last viewing, something Nick said stuck in my head

Paradise had passed and Jay was grasping at straws

And maybe I’m no different

 

Putting you on a pedestal

In love with my image of you

Maybe I’m just greedy

The pendulum pauses for none

Can I make peace with what’s passed?

Put it in the ground,

Sprinkle it with dirt?

 

 

Gatsby Haiku

Daisy, oh Daisy,

You’re a sodding bloody cunt,

8 years, was too soon.

 


 

For Better or Worse

Embarrassed,

You tell me not to watch you vomit.

At your back and beck,

I gather what you need.

With my gaze averted,

I deliver it and what your dignity demands.

 

You apologize,

As if you were a burden,

As if I didn't sign up for this,

As if I didn't vow to be there beside you,

No matter the adventure or ordeal.

 


 

The Muse

No. 5 of The Bests Collection, "The Muse" (2022).

Graphite, Ink, Watercolour, & Chalk Pastel.

 


 

Intracloud Lightning Eyes

I’ll never be able to express the full extent of my gratitude

For melting this ice kingdom,

Like Aslan ending this eternal winter

Teaching me grace by bestowing upon me the warm of your compassion in every embrace

My zygomaticus majors ache with atrophy,

And are unaccustomed to your upward tugging

But when I look in your eyes,

I know it’s safe to smile

 


 

An Invitation

I want to illuminate the secrets blind to willfully closed eyes

Silence creates contemplative boredom

Honest words bleed red

Truth is the treasure I desire

I’d like to peel the layers of paint encasing you

And scrape my pinkie nail across your golden core

The glories of life whisper

And a wise man is a good listener

They plead their case

In the name of beauty and balance

Let’s journey with curiousity

And seek their council on the wind

Let’s escape the mundane

And build a new realm

Save me from these waves of uncertainty

It’s sink or swim

And the weight of this privilege makes it difficult to tread

I’m taking on water and their values are stuck in my throat

Is it any more palatable to you?

Let’s reject it

Build something purer

Our eyes are open

Let’s hold hands and look around?

 


 

In My Purse

Zipped away safely in my broken purse

A transparent container protects my most sacred possessions:

Kindred gems, bittersweet departing words, and a golden heart

Your golden heart

2 halves reunited to become whole

Gleaming so brightly

It can chase away the darkness I contain

My cherished friend

My work of art

Tucked away secrets

Unsaid confessions

The darkness of Pandora’s box

Sealed away with an intricate series of security locks

It always stays by my side

I’ll protect your broken locket with my life

I’d like nothing better than to be your wife

You say I’m the muscle rapidly beating in your chest, fueling each breath

Forever affected by the imprint you’ve left

You’re sunshine condensed in human form

 

 


 

Slumming It

You want a better life

Better than what we could build

More than what I can give

You’re wading through algae in a grimy kiddie pool

And weary of your muddy feet

 

Why waste your time?

Why slum it?

 

You could be one of them, if you want

You already have a penchant for discarding things

As if it had no price

 

You see me as static

Consumed with the consumption my many vices

And perhaps I am over-indulgent

 

You’re so far above me

Wipe me off your soles when you leave.

 


 

Jealousy

You treat me as if I were your queen

I couldn’t want anything more

You remove a mask everyday

Revealing another layer closer to your core

Everyday you gift me another piece of the puzzle that is you

One of these days, I’ll see the picture with perfect clarity

Interlocking infinitely bit by bit, day by day to piece together a shared future

 

How could I be so thoughtless? How could I be so cruel?

Overreacting and acting like a damned fool

Taking for granted the gift you’ve given

You lighten my spirit

And weaken my knees’ conviction

But gratitude is difficult when you’re afflicted with Ambition

And you cannot comprehend the serenity you’ve been living

 

These fresh feelings leave me frightened

But I’ve stopped running and I want to stroll

Let’s chart a course

Wherever it leads, and whoever we become,

I’ll be there


 

Ode to a Keg

 Metallic and shimmering

Cold and calculating

Hollow at heart

All the boys just want to tap and pump.

 

Perhaps in some ways more like a cup

That college boys have filled to the brim.

I want to see her drained and discarded

Without return of deposit.

 

Oh, pretty petty lover, supposedly of mine,

The single time you chose to stab me in the front

Leaves me longing for your usual methodology.

 

Ignorance is bliss

So, I find myself jealous of a fool,

But it’s better than being jealous of her, again.


 

Of Revenge

I’m obsessed, my lovely white whale

I think of nothing but revenge

 I will conquer and prevail

 

You have tainted our love

I can no longer find happiness with him

When I close my eyes,

I can’t visualize life as his wife

 

With each embrace

I wonder if he wishes it was your hips pressing into his,

Your lips quieting his

Your poison has left me questioning this

 

Polar opposites,

Which does the Gentleman prefer?

 


 

Expiration Dates

I am a fool

I don’t deserve your bottomless cup of forgiveness,

I’m not even sorry for the horrid things I said

 

We’re like a favourite shirt

That you’ve outgrown as the years went by

Let’s not lie to ourselves or each other.

 

My hearts still beating but my spirit has died

Spider webs hold the shards intact

Spin me more webs so I can stick with this delusion

You handle these fragile fragments with such carelessness

Chipping pieces as you go

You’ll need a microscope

If you want to see what’s left

 

Lie to me

Deny the connection,

Until the next time, you’re bored

Take what you need

Leave me abandoned and ignored

Break my spirit

Burst my bubble with the tip of your pen

 

Disregarding expiration dates is a reliable recipe for heart ache

 


 

Life Without You

I keep my purse straps up now

Since I no longer have you to slide them up

When I am sagging

 

I don’t wiggle to commercial jingles

In all my hypocritical glory

Because you aren’t there to wiggle with me without judgment

 

I don’t brush my teeth after every cigarette

Now that I have no one to conceal my addiction from

No one to complain about how I taste

 

I’m starved without the lies of love and beauty

You had seasoned to perfection

 

You told me I was your heart,

And that you could not live without your heart

But here I am, and there you are

I guess I was something much less vital

Perhaps a kidney you could spare?

 

I wanted to be the high priestess of your temple

Plucked my eyes to kneel at your altar

And now this blind zealot stands alone

 


 

You’re doing just fine

Every word written was a lie

The life we built,

Shrivelled up from dehydrated

In contemplation of our future

I dreamt of who we could be

I thought this time we would make it a reality

Your dagger pierced my skin

I need t0 reclaim my soul and sanity

Where do you keep these stolen parts of me?

In the drawer, alongside the rest?

Can you love something beyond yourself?

I needed you to love me, for me

Not just what I provided

Delusionally placed faith in this crumbling monument of bliss

Chained and bowing before your highness

In your absence,

Everything you’ve touched casts your shadow

And I’ve let you touch every thing

So, it’s all tainted by you.

 


 

The Heathen

I wanted to devour you

Extract your essence and bottle it

You were all consuming

And I wanted to consume you

 

Always the acolyte, but never the Word

Self-immolating on your altar,

Screaming to be heard

Resurrected again and again to worship you

And reclaim by position in the Necromancer’s army

 

I found peace in my heresy

And in walking that thin line of indifference

I won’t return to the church

I have no tithings

Even if you lack faith

 

Your curse became my blessing

My solitude is comfortable

You recused yourself

Only to find disappointment in your preclusion

Like a Lifetime ban from a corporate franchisee, that outlived its small-town location.

 


 

The Beholder

No. 2 of The Bests Collection, "The Beholder" (2022).

Metallic Sharpie, China Marker, Ink, Graphite, Chalk, Charcoal, Acrylic Paint, Oil Pastel, Watercolour, & Coloured Pencil.

 


 

The Friendzone

Oh, dear Cherished Friend,

Why didn’t you watch your step?

Don’t you know quicksand will swallow you up?

 

I respect you

I care about you

And I don’t want to hurt you

 

But I want someone else

And I’m in hate with Him

                                                             

 

Ingratitude

Thanks for the chain

My apologies for not sporting it proudly

You are not my master

Don’t give me a pet name

I cannot be caged

Push me harder and I’ll run even faster

Don’t chase your losses

You cannot brand a signet in scar tissue.


 

Sorry

Depression never disappoints

It’s a well of inspiration

So dependable

 

I’m a terrible person

I hurt the people I love most

And I’ll carry that weight for life

 

Love is some intangible noun

I cannot transform into a verb

And I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to

Until then, I shouldn’t be with anyone

And I cannot be with you

 

Especially not you

A rarity, an exception,

Exempt from my prejudices against your sex

 

I wish I could give you more

Maybe when I’m stable

And emotionally capable of supporting your needs

But I may never be able to do so

 

So, don’t wait up

Find someone worthy of your affections

I’m a lost cause.

 


 

Goodbye

If everything that can be, is,

Infinite versions of you still exist

 In infinite permutations of reality

Across eternity

Consciousness leaping from dead branches of poor decisions

Leaving us behind

 

Now I'm left to wonder

Which ones see you wrinkle and grey?

How many lives bring you happiness?

Do you ever leave this town?

Find a wife and make a family?

Paint a portrait of a lovely life?

 

You could've done anything

You were skilled at everything

And we’re left with the reality of all the things you’ll never do

 


 

Scene Queen

No. 9 of The Bests Collection, "Scene Queen" (2022).

Ink, Watercolour, Coloured Pencil, Chalk Pastel, & Mixed Media.

 


 

Albino Punk

High quality pen without any ink

Evolved brains without an original thought to think

Existential funk

Trying not to flunk

 

ENTER: the Albino Punk:

Workaholic,

 Jerkaholic,

Can't forget alcoholic

Live, work, love, die

Overexertion, just to get by

Soup-clogged, dirty, work sink

Go grab another drink

Return to his bachelor apartment looks that looks like a dorm

Now that he’s graduated fr0m his school uniform

 

 


 

Scene Queen

Sitting nervously, I feel so odd

Eloped to the forest to get high,

God, I think I love this guy

 

Manson fills his basement room

He’s far more talented than he assumes

He knows the lyrics to every song

While I’m content just to bob my head along

 

He admires my bra,

I adore his art

I’ve accepted the offer of his heart

 

Hard to trap these words on paper

They prefer to flutter around my head

When I’m lying on his vintage TMNT spread

Can’t decide what to call him

Mentor

Or Lover

 

 


 

Happy Fortnight

Sweaty palms

Nervous feet

Churning stomach

Racing beat

Buddy Holly

Melancholy

Nervous feet

Bongo-beat

Kissing a lot

Poking smot

Lack of sleep

Lack of booze

Hitting this alarm-clock’s snooze

Graffitied pants

Happy dance,

Same old cords

Walking bored

Kissing on the corner

Drinking peach schnapps in your room

Two weeks this Wednesday

Crashing hard, what can I say?

Entrancing blue eyes under starlit night skies

Picturing your smile in my mind

Has become my new favourite pastime

 

 


 

Sodium + Chlorine

Sodium plus chlorine

His voice pollutes my brain

Sodium plus chlorine

His touch dilutes my pain

Sodium plus chlorine

The taste of malt liquor on his lips

Sodium plus chlorine

His hands on my hips

Sodium plus chlorine

The way that he smiles

Sodium plus chlorine

His tacky thrifted style

Sodium plus chlorine

Let’s slaughter our favourite songs

Sodium plus chlorine

I don’t care if this is wrong

Sodium plus chlorine

Hoovering samplers away

Sodium plus chlorine

What else can I say

Sodium plus chlorine

Sodium plus chlorine

Sodium plus chlorine

 


 

Nature’s Beauty

Waltzing down the street, hand in hand

This town’s our ballroom and Nirvana’s the band

Self-consciousness is a bitter obstacle

Free me from its chain and shackle

Insert witty comment

Anxious butterflies creating the urge to vomit

Souls intertwined in a passionate embrace

Restores my faith in the human race

Loving your moans of utter delight

Your left ear lobe, I want to bite

Grass bends beneath our weight

Reproductive organs mate

The blue in your eyes

Reminiscent of afternoon skies


 

Too Much

My eyes are thirsty for your smile

Unnamed convictions deserved a trial

Bathe in your scent

Underlying intent

 

What happened to those love birds?

Hollow promises, empty words

Hungry for your laughter

No more happily ever after

 

I miss the cheesy lines you’d say

I miss your touch in every way

I crave those nights we used to share

I crave the way you’d kiss me there

Lips once pressed gently upon each other

Now only inflict pain upon on one another

 

This isn’t right

I don’t want to fight

It hurts too much,
To love you

 


 

The Lesson

The ringing doesn’t end

And I hate the time we don’t spend

No matter how many times I call

I get no answer at all

 

When I catch you, there’s an awkward silence

Occupied by the thing we’re too scared to say

Sooner or later one of us will have to pay

 

Consequences suck

We’re shit out of luck

The collateral rattles

As this ripple has grown to tidal wave proportions

Guess we’re all screwed in the end

I despise this growing trend

The pain is creeping

As this is seeping

down the

drain

 


 

1st Time Lovemaking

Your body over mine is the warmest blanket I’ll ever need

You prefer a slower speed

You lust for my body

I lust for your soul

Together a new entity

Together a new whole

Excuse my hesitation

I just needed some gentle persuasion

Cashed in a rain-cheque of a special occasion

I want to stay intertwined with you

Always together,

Our love: the glue

I’m your girl?

I’m an oyster and you’re my pearl

Walking hand in hand

Like the night we first met

 


 

Singularity

God Almighty

Righty tighty

Bored to death

Frustrated

Emancipated

 

Old Beatles pop

Smells like sex upon the futon

Spinning pain into fevered thighs

Ecstasy echoing in empty halls

 

Latex friction, cancered air

Will you take my double dare?

 

It’s a challenging task

Weathering Love’s seasons

Unsure of how to be together

Afraid I’m destined to be alone

 

Except in small moments of connection

When I remember we all are alone

United as a single entity.

 


 

I Grew Up

I thought I wanted your forgiveness

I thought I wanted your approval

I thought I wanted you

 

I know my vices

I’m aware of my ignorance

And I won’t wear your judgment like an identity badge

 

I don’t know why I obsess over the formulation of your every word

I don’t know why I still think about you

I don’t know what happened to us

 

Space & Time

No. 10 of The Bests Collection, "Time & Space" (2022).

Crayon & Watercolour.

 


 

8 Hours

You were a third of the world away

Paying for dial-up minutes at the café;

I was 8 hours behind,

On broadband in public libraries

Connected by chance

The World Wide Web

The happenstance of our respective wars

And shared dream of liberation from theocratic oppression

 

I lived in the quiet:

Watching Wendigo enjoy the bounty gleaned from the atrocities of conquest, betrayal, and biological warfare

-Past and present

My people relegated to the corner,

Praying for leftovers from the last supper

If you listen to their lies too long, eventually you’ll believe them

They’ll domesticate you ‘til you forget your fangs

And lay down in submission

 

You lived in chaos:

Crumbling infrastructure, rotating brown-outs, and rationing water.

You lived under daily threat

Had guns in your face

Faced arrest and death to create your art

You toppled a tyrant

Then you were conscripted

And you went from fighting to actualize an abstraction

To fighting to earn your freedom.

 

I sit with passing privileges

And the luxury of deciding what tools to use

But I’m still so far behind

Fractions & Figments

You’re a stranger

The best lover I never had

An epic romance

Forever treasuring

My secret life with you

 

But you never had all of me

I gave you but a fraction

Polishing the best bits

And hiding the rest

 

Between the polished pieces that we exchanged,

And the empty spaces filled by our imaginations,

How much was real?

How much was our own construction?

 

Were we in love?

Or merely figments of our own creation?

 


 

OD on Nostalgia

Nearly 20 years later, we meet again,

At another fork in the road

Our parallel paths feel fated

Like Destiny brought you to me, again.

We’ve grown and greyed,

Acquiring new battle scars along the way

We’ve made people, our sweet little blessings

Their joy is the best two failed artists could ever dream of producing

You’re closer now;

But Hamburg is still an ocean away

Anchored by debt, responsibilities, and obligations

Makes meeting feels as impossible now as it was then

But the material obstacles are immaterial

 

I’m afraid:

Afraid to fail to live up to the hype,

And be found dull by comparison;

Or worse

-Finding things better than we dreamed

Only to resume our separate lives, an ocean away

 

I want to live

Not pledge myself to a screen

Wishing you love and luck and joy

As I continue down my path

Lest we overdose on nostalgia

 

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

No. 6 of The Bests Collection, "Happy Birthday, Mr. President" (2022).

 Graphite, Coloured Pencil, Crayon, Chalk Pastel, Black China Marker, Ink, & Gold Paint.

 


 

Cardboard Crushes

Like a much-coveted cardboard cut-out of my preteen celebrity crush,

Your beauty overwhelmed me.

 

And too much like that cut-out,

I never could have owned you,

And I’ll never afford your fancy.

 

And like the carbon-copy,

You were merely a stand-in for the intangible,

Always tantalizing,

And never real.

And we ran about as deep as your paper layers,

But with even less support behind it.

 

And what was I to you?

But another admirer,

And a lesser one at that.

Another picture for your album?

Another tit to suck your tat?

But you didn’t care,

Until I wasn’t there,

And had skipped your fan club meetings.

 


 

Emergency Contact

No. 8 of The Bests Collection, "Emergency Contact" (2022).

Graphite, Coffee, Chalk Pastel, & Oil Pastel.

 

 


 

Emergency Contact

I haven’t seen you since 2008

But you’re always there

In my periphery

Liking everything you see

My Number-One-Fan

The only subscriber

My public digital diary

Dedicated to you?

Is it pity or obsession?

 


 

Husband Material

You’re a good man who makes his parents proud

Or as proud as Catholic parents can be of their childless only son

Who preferred to perform metal over classical

 

Nevertheless, you are loved

By family

By brothers who would die for you
By sisters who would kill for you

 

You’re balanced

Practical and creative

Open-minded and cultured

You pair $36 a bag free-trade organic coffee beans with a vending machine Nacho Cheese Dorito

 

You can make me smile and laugh

-Even when I’d rather not

You got the kind of moves

That makes a lady’s lips salivate

And I can’t fault you for anything

Except perhaps your taste in tragic women


 

Unworthy



No. 11 of The Bests Collection, "Unworthy" (2023).

Oil Pastel.

 


 

Unworthy

I’d have loved to wake up early next to you

To laze around in our pajamas all Sunday

Without feeling like I wasted my last day of freedom

Before contorting myself into a cog for the system

 

I’d have loved to venture into the world with you

I adored the way you saw it

It was a pleasure discovering those things about you

I only knew you for a short while,

And perhaps not even at all

 

But,

I loved you more than the men who warmed my bed

Far too much to suggest you ever settle for someone so unworthy.

 


 

My Wedding Day

I promised I’d meet him at the other end of an altar

But I never loved him

Maybe the shinier shards of his mask

But never him

Caught in a trap nest, I tried to make it cozy

But when I thought of standing face to face with him,

Before God, our friends, families, and the strangers his mother insisted upon inviting,

I didn’t dream of our marital bliss,

I remembered you

 

And wondered if it would have made a difference

If you had attended the party and I had confessed

Would I have stayed?

Or went home rejected?

Are we together in another timeline?

Would it have been sublime?

Or would it have been weighted down by my baggage?

I flail and flounder

Trying to keep my head above water

Adrift in a sea of what-ifs

I don’t know and I still wouldn’t ask

But I do know that when contemplating marriage

I should’ve been dreaming of my would-be husband

Not the one who got away

 

 


 

Emotional Quarantine

I’m destructive;

With an inclination for self sabotage,

-Just to have some semblance of control over the pain,

And a tendency to treat men as if they were just as disposable as the latex sheaths, I adorn them in

 

I’m avoidant;

Intimacy frightens me,

I couldn’t blame you if you found me wanting after I’ve borne my body

But to bare it all and reveal my wounds

To a witness who would turn their eyes

Is more than I can take

 

So, all that is to say,

My greatest act of loving you

Was walking away,

So, you could find your happily ever after



Adventuring

No. 7 of The Bests Collection, "Adventuring" (2022).

Graphite & watercolour.

 


 

Kobayashi Maru

I had this two-prong litmus test

That I used in my quest

The first involved jumping an impossibly high red bar

The second was whether or not I’d decline

An offer I could never refuse

 

The test was rigged

-Not even Kirk could have passed

But you aced it

Leaving me in uncharted territory

With the matter of deciding what comes next

 

 


Differences

You wanted to be wanted

I wanted a guarantee

I needed a life preserver

You needed stability

 

I hoped that with a kiss

I could transform into a princess

So, I drank in your affection,

As if it were a magic potion,

A cure-all for my insecurities, intimacy issues, and near non-existent self-esteem

 

I suspect you were hoping for a similar effect

Perhaps you hoped my experience would help us navigate foreign terrain

I’m sorry I wasted so much of our journey

Having you pick up the things I couldn’t keep crammed in my luggage


 

Until I met you

Until I met you,

I thought the absence of vice was a virtue in itself.

Thank you for teaching me otherwise.

 

Until I met you,

I thought I’d only ever be loved for what I could give.

I wish you hadn’t been merely an exercise in confirmation bias.

 

Until I met you,

I hung all my hopes on my love,

Believing it could make me whole.

Thank you for teaching me not to make sponsors out of lovers.

 

Thank Creator,

I looked down

To see the Ruby Slippers were there all along.

 

Lost in the Woods

No. 1 of The Bests Collection, "Lost in the Woods" (2022).

Watercolour & Ink.

 


 

The Lore

The reviews were mixed

I didn’t know what to think

Couldn’t get a read

So, I observed, and was intrigued

 

Went looking for ladders to climb

So, I could slide into your DMs

Hollering whenever I had too much to drink

-Which was much too often back then

Sat and smoked, watching you work

From cheap binoculars with a smirk

 

Back on my bullshit,

I send you an invitation to cum anime and chill

Things were good, but I was greedy

You got backburnered

And I got burned

 

I nearly drowned in the never-evers

Lost at sea

Stalked by a shark

Glimpsing the shore between waves,

Kept me afloat

 

I wanted to give you a Thanksgiving feast

Not days old picked-over leftovers

So, I opted for a fast

 

Somewhere along the lines,

I decreed you Polaris

And had to disentangle whether I loved:

You, the symbol of freedom and the beauty of what life has left to offer;

Or you, the man

 

I leave you

Wanting and waiting

Always the mashed potatoes,

But never the steak

 

 I am sorry.

Beautiful Strangers, Part-Time Lovers & Unrequited Loves

Beautiful Stranger (2023).

Watercolour, Acrylic Marker, & Ink.

 


 

Beautiful Stranger
Can you walk by again?

This old sceptic wants to decrypt it,

The reason behind Mona Lisa’s smile.

Watching with complete composure,

Under the pretense of ignorance,

 Feigning airs of innocence.

 

 

Before You Kiss Me

You smile before you kiss me

Your face grows solemn and quiet

I view myself through your eyes

And when our mouths and bodies meet

I feel both our racing hearts beating against my chest.

 

 

Feeling Loved

My inhibitions

Surrender to a presence

So warm and tender.

 

 

New Love

Sweet, sweet butterflies

Carefree, gentle, nervous, shy

Pure adrenaline

 

 

Too Soon

The end is nearing

The last frame slides before us

Time evaporates


Midnight Maul

Her stomach churns awaiting his arrival

An ancient relic’s revival

Her heart against her ribcage

As his knuckles rap against her door

Shaken to the core

Drunken teenage bliss

A promptly planted kiss

Nervous reaction to his mere presence

Admiring his heavenly essence

Tasting the whisky on his lips

Between silent peach juice sips

All is quiet, the neighbourhood is dead

She’d rather be herself 33 months ago instead

But this sates for now

He got closer than she’d care to allow

The original crush

Endorphin buzz

Blood rush

Keep it quiet, take things slow

Another classified incident no one will ever know

Too intoxicated to get his shoes on

It’s beyond late; it’s almost dawn

He leaves her house undiscovered

On the highest cloud is where she hovered

Basement, bathroom, belly-crawl

Her stomach settles ‘til their next midnight maul.

 


 

Miserable

Flat on my ass and incapacitated

Leveled by Karma

Too afraid of taking the wrong direction

I stand paralyzed by Fear

 

Misplaced affections

Rejection surges

Dispersing through my veins

Afflicted with a case of hypotheticals:

If only I had boarded that train

I wouldn’t have sat squinting,

Counting the passing cabins

 

You demand trust, as if I hoard it,

When I only request that you earn it.

It’s not a given, extended naturally,

And it’s one that I don’t grant upon entry to this calamity.

It takes a strength I don’t possess

To express that level of vulnerability.

 

The hand I held

Was but a plastic shell

Torn from a mannequin that I had admired

He who you would declare such a waste

Becomes the ghost haunting my place

So beautiful, it’s unbearable

 

Do I long for you because you’re untouchable,

Or,

Are you more beautiful,

Unsoiled by my fingerprints?

 

Let me bury my hope

A love affair between shadows provides

A delusional, detached, delight.

 

Even embracing ghosts

-Only to fall face first

Feels safer:

The familiarity of failure is more comforting than living in uncertainty

 

My body needs to move

I’ll lift my shoulders and raise my head

Even if it’s only to have it cleaved from my neck

 


 

Selective Perception

It feels so good and so seems right

To wrap my limbs around you tight

Are these deceptive eyes showing me truth or lies

Can’t believe all you see

Powerful illusions hypnotize

Have you come to save me?

 

 

Lust

Oh, beautiful You

I want to roll my tongue down your spine

Get lost in the valley of your shoulder blades

Kissing the back of your neck

To smell your hair and taste your skin

Enmeshed flesh,

Cocooned in blankets

 

 

Playing It Cool

I watch you in the dark

Expecting the unexpected

But still coming up short

Late, you jog,

Then pretend to act casual.

 

 


 

Sweet Treat

I read your messages

The same way I like to savour

That last bite of cake.

 

 

Free Samples

I think I’d like a taste,

Do you have any free samples?

I can’t afford the product you’re promoting,

But I think I’d like a taste.

 

 

Fry Guy

Holy Christ

My ass must be in love

I offered him my last fry.

 

 

I Love You Like I Hate Me

This dance has lasted long enough

To become a parody of itself

You only want me when I can’t stand you

 

 


 

Valentine’s Day

 

To:     You,                      my   Valentine

Oh,   how    I    wish         you     were    mine

            Your  heart:  gift  wrapped     &   hand  delivered,

          With love as the lace, holding   everything in place

             But you’re not mine, & I can       lay  no  claim

                  Learning to live with the      Loneliness

                           Adapting  to  your    absence

                                    I celebrate      today

                                             With   out

                                                 Y ou


 

I Want to Know You

Thirsty eyes have been quenched

While a parched heart still longs

For the object of its desires

 

I want to know you

Deeper than flesh can penetrate

I want to touch you closer to your soul

 

Others often misunderstand

Let me sandwich you between glass plates

And slide you beneath my microscope

So, I may avoid their folly

And see you fully

 

 

Relaying The Message

Holding the wood steady,

So, she can nail this triangular frame in place

And break three hearts in the process

 

I pray she treats you right

Don’t let her break your heart again

Glen deserves better too.

 


 

The Shell

You can melt the ice beneath your blowtorch

But don’t forget it’s the ice your feet are planted on

You can dissolve your brain

But the acid’s corrosion of your soul is more severe

Why do you want to destroy who you are?

Why do you want to die?
I don’t mean to admonish,

Your body is yours to demolish

You belong to addiction

You are its vessel

A meagre carrier of its disease

You are just another soul,

Insignificant compared to the haul it has amassed

Pray to your false idol

Who kisses you so uncompassionately

And don’t dare to wonder why it feels so hollow

 

 


 

Stranger in the 408

Stark ghostly blue eyes

That had not yet lost the glimmer of optimism

Accompany a reserved half-smile

 

You propped your door open to facilitate an introduction

And now you’re asleep on my pillow

Warming my bed

And I’m blanketed in this infatuation

 

Coincidental occurrence

God, he’s beautiful

He breathes softly

Every exhale breaking the silence

 

There’s rain on the window

Autumn is in the air

There’s a chill up my spine

And your shoulders are cold

I want to warm them with my mouth

 


 

Saint Elmo’s Fire

Rest in peace, J. M.

There’s a certain kind of magic that can be made,

When a blanket floats down to the mattress,

And in hiding underneath,

Swimming undercover.
Thank you for showing me the magic,

 You surround yourself with,

And holding me.
Too good to taint with the vulgarities of my sexuality,

I want to be your friend

But I want to do this again

And what of them?

 


 

Schroeder

A simply sympathetic heart

Barricades itself behind a curtain wall

Fortified by his father’s criticism

Creating a timeless playground,

Secure in isolation,

Indulging his quiet contemplation

Protecting his sensitive serenity

From the metallic colonizers of our galaxy

 

The cracks spread

Along your exquisitely crafted wall

Illuminating the darkness of your halls

Enlightening the surrounding smog

 

Don’t needlessly mortar out

The peeking glimpses of your being

With materialism and propriety

Merely to spite loneliness


 

Second Date

You were too good for me then

And you’re still too good for me now

But I’m working on it

 

I want to hold you

To coax you out of your shell

To hold a mirror to you

And show you how beautiful you are

 

I don’t have to touch you

Just let me worship at your temple
Maybe in another twenty I’ll be worthy to kneel at your altar

 

 


 

Rick’s Café

I carved out some space,

Arranged a place setting

And held your reservation

Then waited…

 

But your table sits sterile, chairs tucked in, condiments untouched

While other would-be patrons are turned away at the door.

It's become a running joke between the waitresses

That I'd turn away the King of England before giving your seat to someone else

That the King would grace us with his presence long before you ever would

And that I could even show him and Camilla photos from when my grandparents met his parents.

 

I hold this space as tightly as I've held my regret

Held hostage by it,

I've refused to repeat this mistake,

Instead opting to make three more:

 

1. In lieu of self love,

I seek validation from a portrait of perfection,

Only validating the fear that I am unlovable,

 and using it for justification to indulge myself;

 

2. I fish without a hook,

To spare myself the labour of everything fishing with purpose entails,

No need to skin superficialities, spill guts, cleave meat from bone,

Then prepare it 'til it's presentable and palatable and resembles something more domestic; and

 

3. I think this time could be different,

Every day is the day

Until it's another yesterday that wasn't.

 


 

Terrible Poems for Lovely Goddesses

Bisexual Gays (2023).

Watercolour & Acrylic Marker.

 


 

Defining A Moment

Touch her face softly

Lift it up to yours

Pressing pursed lips together

Delicate divine

Defining moment

 


 

Glow

Darkened doorway
Bleeding brain

Deterioration of her vertebrae

For a great sensation that lasts all day

Witty repartee enlightening the darkest room

Your smile evaporating my gloom

Golden locks and soulful talks

Fantasy dream

 

 

Highlight of My Day

Sunkissed freckles gently decorate her face

Blue-eyed maiden

Golden hair, feminine grace

Perma-frown fadin’

Mood elatin’

Maybe one day I’ll be smooth

You bite bored lips I wish I could sooth

Cute and witty

Smart and pretty

Don’t be modest,

You Sunny, Earth Mother Goddess


 

Miss Muffet

The branches of two trees,

Too shy to greet,

Hold space for one another,

Their roots intertwined, connecting discreetly

 

What a beautiful flower:

Gleaming so intriguingly,

Producing such a sweet aroma.

 

So many surprises await the spider

Aiming her silk-spun affections

Hoping to be fortunate enough to connect to your delicate petal

Less her ambitions blow away in the wind

 

Might she humbly inquire

If her efforts are in vain?

 

Reply gently

A strong wind could crush her

And she has yet to recover from her fall down the water spout

 


 

Miss Understood Vegan

Hair: wild and cruelty free

Refusing to consume fast food fries

As a further ‘fuck-you’ to the corporations

Slaughtering animals and serving their carcasses

In semi-sanitary links of their impersonal chain

Does she condemn the ignorance of her species?

Would she rather be a tree?

I wish I knew

 

 


 

For a 2 Syllable Poem

When are we going to take off our shoes, darling?

The darkest part of night has passed

The morning will reveal us ugly and unmade

I’ll tell you whatever you want to hear

Just to side step my abandonment fears

 


 

The Woman After Me

Oh, Darling

Don’t you know you’re exquisite?

The very best in a long line of smudged facsimiles of an ideal brunette

The only one with any clarity

I adore you and say that with all sincerity

You’re soft and gentle

And everything I could never be

Don’t move me into a space not meant for me.

I pray for you,

Never hated you,

Got nothing but gratitude

You’re a queen

You deserve the royal treatment

Always thought you could do better

But I wasn’t gunna drop that in my letter,

Sorry.

Sorry for anytime I’ve been weaponized

To keep you hypnotized

And submissive

Are you being held hostage,

Ransomed for the price of my bounty?

Epilogue

Poly

I'm a woman of eclectic tastes

Or so I've been told

I've adorned many costumes

 But have seldom fit the mold

 Accessorize with a prize

 That'll match each unique outfit

 Safety-pin an alcoholic punk to my misanthrope costume

 Clip a yuppie onto my grey blazer

 Bag up a stoner to deposit in my purse's secret compartment

 Coat myself in geek before I hit that con

 Roll a rebel up in my tee-shirt's sleeve

 I'm not looking for the one

 I want two

 In every colour of my personality

 

 


 

Sitting With it

Some strange

And a 10-dollar beer on tap

Can help you swallow that lump in your throat

 

 

Drug of Choice

Sometimes I wonder if I’m ace

If I’ve only ever enjoyed the chase

Do I even like sex?

Or do I simply use it?

Getting off or getting high?

Artificial intimacy

Usually free

Capsuled for my convenience

My drug of choice

 

 

Break-Up Playlist

Forever Alone

Because I’ll never love Anyone

More than my Break-Up Playlist

 


The Life of Couches

Based on a conversation with Syndal Bradshaw and Nico Williams.

 

They breathe so serenely

Longing for nothing

Knowing the answer in every cell of their fibres

Asking for nothing

Finding comfort in their limitations

Rely on Floor,

Flirt with Wall

Cushion the perils of the ignorant

In the times between their blind running lunacy.

 



About the Author

 

Natasha Adams is a painter, poet, and comic creator from Aamjiwnaang First Nation. She has a 3-year Bachelor of Arts degree in Social Sciences from Brock University, where she minored in Business and Sociology. She is a member of the Lawrence House Centre for the Arts and the sole proprietor of Melancholy Feat Productions and Adams’ Odemin Farm.

 

Men Make Poor Pillows is a collection of the author’s previously unpublished romantic poetry spanning from 2001 to 2015, with 21 new poems and 3 supplementary paintings to accompany The Bests Collection (2022-2023).

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT?